Harder than diamond yet more elastic than rubber, tougher than steel yet lighter than aluminium. Can you imagine any entity with such dynamic traits ? Well today everything is possible. Graphene, an allotrope of carbon, is the strongest known material.
* Graphene is an allotrope of carbon in the form of a single layer of atoms in a 2-d hexagonal lattice where atoms form the vertex. ~Basically the term 'graphene' comes from Graphite. Graphene is the building block for other graphitic materials.
* There are about 3 million layers of graphene in 1 mm of graphite.
* About 100 times stronger than the strongest steel, yet it's density is dramatically lower than steel. Talking of conductivity , it conducts both heat and electricity very efficiently.
* It is a zero gap semiconductor, holding great capabilities for modern telecommunication and electronic sectors.
* Research works are still in process to make graphene daily household material like steel ; though today it's manufacturing is quiet difficult and expensive. But the possibilities of what we can achieve with this material have been wide open.
In summary, this discovery by a physics professor and his PhD students in a laboratory in Manchester, has completely revolutionized the way we look at potential limits of our abilities.
#The Model Club